January 4, 2021 - February 11, 2021: Change of Services
On December 26, 2020 Ontario will be entering a province-wide lockdown. As a result of this lockdown, Lakehead Library will be unable to offer in-person services until the lockdown has concluded. This includes the closure of study spaces in the Law Library and Chancellor Paterson Library. Virtual services, such as research consultations with librarians and access to the electronic collection, will remain unaffected.
Lakehead users can continue to request access to the physical collection by placing a request in Omni. Users will be notified when their item(s) are ready for pickup. Pickup hours, by location, are:
Chancellor Paterson Library: Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 1:00pm-4:00pm
Education Library (Thunder Bay): Tuesday from 1:00pm-3:00pm and Thursday from 11:00am-1:00pm
Harvie Legacy Library (Orillia): Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 1:00pm-4:00pm
Law Library: Thursday from 11:00am-1:00pm
Returns can be accepted at Chancellor Paterson or Education Library during contactless pickup hours.
Changes to Library Services - Fall 2020
Last updated on October 8, 2020
We are excited to welcome you back to the libraries this Fall!
The library is currently implementing a plan for the phased reopening of physical library services. We understand the important role that the library plays in supporting teaching, learning and research at Lakehead, and are committed to providing these services in a safe and timely manner.
The timeline and availability of these services will be dependent upon ensuring the safety of library staff and users.
We’re here to support you with these online and on-site services:
Requesting materials for Click and Collect or Digitization
- The physical collections at all Lakehead Libraries will remain closed to browsing.
- All requests for physical materials (both pickup and digitization) must be submitted via Omni.
- For information on how to place a request, visit our Omni Library Guide.
- In Thunder Bay, book pickup is available at Chancellor Paterson Library and the Education Library (outside main entrance doors of the Bora Laskin Building).
- In Orillia, book pickup is available at the Harvie Legacy Library in Simcoe Hall on University Avenue.
- In Thunder Bay, library materials may be returned to the exterior book drop at Chancellor Paterson Library Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 8:00pm, and weekends, 8:00am to 6:00pm. Education Library materials may be returned to the Thunder Bay Education Library during their contactless pickup hours on Tuesdays from 1pm-3pm and Thursdays from 11am to 1pm.
- In Orillia, all returns, including Orillia Education Library items, and Thunder Bay items, may be made via the dropbox at the Harvie Legacy Library, on University Avenue. Access to the library dropbox is possible Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 8:00pm, and weekends, 10:00am to 2:00pm.
Archival, Special Collections, and Reference Materials Consultation Space:
For using reference material, special collections, and archival records.
The consultation table will be located on the main floor Chancellor Paterson Learning Commons. The consultation space will follow the same safety protocols that the Library currently has in place for study seat bookings, including wearing face coverings, enhanced cleaning and disinfection, hand sanitizing, and ensuring social distance is maintained at all times.
Appointments must be made at least 48 hours ahead of time. Same-day requests cannot be accommodated. All efforts will be made to accommodate appointment requests, depending on availability of staff, and the nature of the materials and quarantine requirements.
- To make an appointment to use archival materials contact Sara Janes at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To make an appointment to use special collections or reference materials contact Trudy Russo at email@example.com
- Archives: Appointments available Wednesdays 9:00-12:00 and 1:00-4:00, Fridays 9:00-12:00
- Rare & Special Collections: Appointments available Tuesday 9:00-12:00 and 1:00-4:00, and Thursday 9:00-12:00
- Library is closed 12:00-1:00 daily for cleaning
Not all material can be made accessible. Access decisions will be made by the Special Collections Librarian and/or University Archivist based on health and safety, fragility of materials, and other considerations, and are final. Multimedia material, including microfilm, is not available at this time.
Readers can reserve a maximum of two three-hour time slots per week. Additional reservations are dependent upon availability.
Only requests from Lakehead University affiliated individuals can be accepted at this time.
- For several reasons, including industry guidelines which recommend quarantining items between 48 to 72 hours between uses, it will not be possible for the Lakehead Libraries to provide a traditional print reserve service. If you have print reserve materials that you feel are necessary for your instruction, please contact your liaison librarian to work out a possible alternative.
- You can continue to make course reserve requests for electronic materials (including requests for scanned chapters to be uploaded to D2L) via the form on this page, and a library staff member will follow up.
- Users can continue to submit requests for chapters and articles that are not in the Lakehead Library collection via Interlibrary Loan.
- The resumption of Interlibrary Loan for physical materials is being coordinated by all of Ontario’s Universities. Check this page regularly for updates on changes to this service
Overview of Access to Physical Library Spaces
- The Chancellor Paterson Library in Thunder Bay will be open beginning Monday September 14, 2020 for study seat use, and pickup of book requests. Hours of operation will be Monday to Friday 9:00am to 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 4:00pm. There is no access to book collections, computers, or printers.
- The Thunder Bay Education Library is closed. The Education Library - Thunder Bay is now available as a Click and Collect pickup location on Tuesdays from 1-3pm and Thursdays 11-1pm. Items will be made available at the front entrance to the building.
- The Thunder Bay Law Library is closed. Click and Collect requests may be picked up from the Chancellor Paterson Library.
- The Orillia Education Library is closed. Click and Collect requests may be picked up from the Orillia Harvie Legacy Library in Simcoe Hall
- The Orillia Harvie Legacy Library in Simcoe Hall is open for Click and Collect book pickup, on Monday / Wednesday / Friday, from 9:00am to 12:00, and from 1:00pm to 4:00pm.
- The Orsi Family Learning Commons is open for individual study space from 8:00am to 8:00pm, from Monday to Friday.
Chancellor Paterson Library, Thunder Bay Campus
Forty (40) individual study spaces will be available on the first floor of the Chancellor Paterson Library.
- Students must book study spaces via the Seat Booking System on the Library homepage.
- Seats are available in 3 hour time slots, either between 9:00am and 12:00pm, or 1:00pm to 4:00pm.
- Study spaces must be booked at least one hour in advance of arriving at the library.
- No food or drink, except water bottles.
- Bookings can be created up to two weeks in advance.
- For more information on booking study spaces, as well as health and safety measures for using the space, please refer to our guidelines.
Harvie Legacy Library, Orillia Campus
- The Orsi Family Learning Commons, in Simcoe Hall on University Avenue, is open for individual study space.
- Study spaces in the Orsi Family Learning Commons will be on a first come first served basis.
- Students must wear a mask, and must check in with security staff upon entering Simcoe Hall.
Printing at the Library
- One colour and one black-and-white printer are available in the Chancellor Paterson Library. Printing is only available for students with a reserved study space, during their reserved study space timeslot.
- Other printers are available in the Agora and the Cafeteria on the Thunder Bay Campus.
- Students should load money onto their printing accounts through the PaperCut website.
- For more information on printing, please visit TSC Printing.
- In Orillia, in the Orsi Family Learning Commons, a colour, and a black and white printer, are available for students. To add money online, and for more Orillia printing information, view the Orillia Printing information page.
Additional on-campus study spaces, computers & printers are available. More information is available here.
Accessing Online Resources
- Access the library’s vast ebook collection through Omni. Check out this tutorial to learn how to limit your search to ebooks and online materials.
- Find and access online journal articles by subject. Check the databases listed on the Databases AtoZ list.
- For curated listings of resources by subject consult the library’s subject guides.
- Open Education Resources information and repositories are available on this library guide.
- For access to feature films, documentaries, and other video content go to the library’s Streaming Media Collection.
- All requests for Photo ID cards must be submitted online. You will be contacted by the library when your card has been printed with instructions for pickup.
Accessing Online Resources